Tools for Apache Cordova
You can build apps using the tools for these devices and platforms:
- Android 2.3.3 and later (4.4 provides the best developer experience)
- iOS 6, 7, and 8
- Windows 8, 8.1, and 10
- Windows Phone 8 and 8.1
Visual Studio Tools for Apache Cordova has been tested for use with Cordova 5.1.1 and 4.3.1. You can select a different version using the configuration designer. However, using an untested version may result in unexpected behaviors.
When you develop apps using Visual Studio Tools for Apache Cordova, Visual Studio provides these benefits:
- Easy installation. Manual installation of Cordova involves a lot of work to find, install, and maintain the correct version of all the third-party software required to support native platforms. Our third-party installer handles all of that for you and gets you up and running quickly.
- Unified debugging experience. Cross-platform development often requires a different tool for debugging each device, emulator, or simulator. Different tools mean different workflows and lost productivity every time you switch devices. With Visual Studio, you can use the same world-class debugging tools for all deployment targets, including iOS devices and simulators, Android devices and emulators, Windows, and the Apache Ripple emulator.
- Command line interoperability. Visual Studio solutions directly reflect the file system and are updated in real time; this means that you can use any command line tool.
- Multi-Version Cordova support. Visual Studio solutions allow you to easily change to different versions of Cordova in your project.
Get the tools
For installation instructions, see Install Visual Studio Tools for Apache Cordova, and to get started writing your first app, see Create Your First App Using Visual Studio Tools for Apache Cordova.
Download a sample
The ToDoList sample app shows how you can use different frameworks for your Cordova app. ToDoList allows users to create new tasks, check them off, and remove them. The app uses Microsoft Azure Mobile Services to store data, and also uses Bing Maps to provide valid addresses.
To download the ToDoList sample app for Visual Studio 2013, see the deprecated samples on GitHub.
To download other samples for Visual Studio Tools for Apache Cordova that demonstrate multi-page navigation and other features, see the Ionic SideMenu starter template and WinJS Navigation template samples.